Thursday 10 January 2013

The Dark Knight Rises

A short scene and character review of The Dark Knight Rises which I've been meaning to write for a while so here goes...

After hearing all the hype about the amazing new addition to the Batman trilogy I had high expectation built up, unfortunatley I was disappointed in what I saw.

*Spoilers ahead*

For one, the first fight scene between Bane and Batman.

WHAT?!

I understand we, as the audience, have to be shown that Batmas is not up to the standard he has been in previous films which in turn means the last fight scene will look impressive as the hero will have returned to full strength and it'll be amazing blah blah blah.
This is not how I viewed the scene whilst watching the movie. I saw a cartoon kid trying to beat up his bully; it just didn't work for me. To be honest I started vying for Bane purely because Batmans performance was so poor.
Half the fight was missed because of poor lighting (but what else where you expecting from a Nolan movie?) and there was a complete lack of action. In my opinon it could've been done better.
The location was the only thing I found impressive, the gushing waterfall through the centre of the platforms gave emphasis to the fact Bane was king of the sewers and could do anything he wanted.

I found Bane was a very very impressive villain.
Despite what many reviews recounted, I found it easy to understand what Bane was saying and found Hardy's English accent was perfect for the character's menacing appearance.

The twist was vastly hyped up but, in reality, not well thought out. From the start eveyone in that cinema had their suspicions about Miranda. Seriously, a hot new woman who isn't Catwoman appears and we're supposed to take her in our stride with no suspicions?! However, I will admit defeat when it comes to the reveal I was excited about how it would pan out.

The ending had the cinema in tears over Alfred; Michael Caine strikes again!
I also found the end scene with John Blake watching his childhood hero die was emotionally wrecking.

Overall, I think it would have been a brilliant film but the hype strikes again and killed it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment